Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Computer Aided Design

Gone are the days when engineering drawings had to be drawn manually on an A0 sheet with the help of a drafter. I remember in college days, it used  to take us an average of 3-4 hours drawing a not so complicated assembly. And on top of that all those calculations we had to do and what not. But since the last two decade or so CAD (Computer Aided Design), has changed the entire definition of engineering. Not only it automates the drawing process but also takes care of a lot of calculations which otherwise were done manually back in the day. Its faster, accurate and precise.


And in order to meet the requirements/expectations of different industries, there are a number of CAD platform to choose from, each one with its own unique features. For instance, the industries I have been associated with have all been Autodesk Inventor and hence I have been associated with the program from day dot. 

One thing with all/most of these programs is their hardware requirements. There is generally a dedicated series of high end systems called work-stations that most of the OEM's generally offer to run CAD programs. One can either buy one off the shelf or build one to suit their individual requirements.

In my case, because I always had a laptop with not much options to play with on the hardware side, I didn't had a very clear understanding of the hardware part of a system. So, I took it as a project to build my own system. So, with a bit of research I built my self My First Build and am very happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment